
About fifteen years ago, a young woman approaching her 24th birthday, decided that all she wanted as a gift, was all the crab legs she could eat. Her family accommodated her by providing exactly what she'd asked for; a crab feast. That simple gift has since become an annual family tradition for the Calderones. I was lucky enough to be one of the few quests invited to this years feast.
Eight of us crabbers arrived with our crab crackers in hand. We were greeted at the top of the stairs by Papa Cal, who donned a crab hat complete with dangling claws and pop eyes. This event was not for the shy or faint of heart, but it was certainly family tradition at its finest.
Eventually, we all settled around a large table set with plates, napkins and huge empty tins for the shells. We awaited the first batch of crustaceans with great anticipation, much laughter and half empty wine glasses. Once the steaming pot was set in the center of the table, the feeding frenzy began in earnest. The rules were simple. You got to eat as many crab legs as you could crack open, dip in butter, and shove in your mouth. Sharing was tolerated but not encouraged. And, if you flaunted a large morsel which you had skillfully plucked from a shell, it became fair game to anyone who could snatch it from your hands. Papa Calderone managed to snatch only one of mine before I learned to eat with more stealth and less bragging.
Shells cracked and flew across the table. Bibs became soaked with crustacean juices and drawn butter. Wine flowed freely and laughter permeated every delicious mouthful of crab meat. I've never before experienced so much fun and family love around a simple dinner table. This was even better than the New Years Polenta tradition I had enjoyed in the same household two weeks earlier. Only one person left the table early. The rest of us stayed the course until all 33 pounds of crab legs were consumed. I felt proud to be a newbie who had outlasted at least one veteran crabber.
I've known a lot of good families and friends in my life, but none compare to these rare Italians. I feel honored to have been accepted into their home and into their lives, and even luckier to be loved by their son.
2 comments:
Toooo funny. I was worried that THIS one would scare ya' off. LOL!
Yes, it's a full blown feeding frenzy. The family is loud, raucous, huggy, and warm and WE'RE glad you picked US to put on the feedbag with. Did I mention that we liked our wine, too? That helps explain the 'raucous' part.
You survived the polenta, and the crab fest. We're cool for a few months, but come MY birthday, we'll do the same thing with baby back ribs (and a side of pasta).
Love ya!
Rudy
That's it...when I come home for my yearly visit I want to start an eating tradition too! I feel shafted living out here on the opposite coast!
Post a Comment