Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hodgekins Journey

On Friday Rudy's daughter, Mindy, was diagnosed with Hodgekin's Lymphoma. She called and gabbed freely with her dad while he and I cooked pulled pork and got food set up for a baby shower that we were putting on for my oldest daughter. Mindy talked forever without really saying anything, and it left us slightly confused but certainly not worried. She never mentioned her illness.

After the excitement of a fun and successful baby shower, we spent Sunday relaxing and enjoying an unexpected day of sunny Cleveland weather. Mindy called again. This time she said that she needed to have a serious talk with her dad, and she broke the news of her diagnoses to him. She'd decided to wait until after the shower to tell him so that he could enjoy the party with me. I've never seen such an awesome display of selflessness, especially in one so young.

Both Rudy and I talked with her over the next two days discussing prognosis, treatment, fears and hopes. We learned a lot about this disease in a very short time thanks to the Internet. Hodgekin's has a 90% to 95 % cure rate and that's sweet music to a parents ears. However, Mindy will have to endure twelve weeks of intensive chemo and steroid treatment which will most likely result in hair loss, edema, and extreme bouts of nausea . She's in California and her Dad and the rest of her family is right here in Ohio. Mindy has earned a place of honor in my heart along with Boo for being so tough and brave at so young an age. She too has the heart of a lion.

I am here to support and love them both as they struggle to get through the next twelve weeks journey while being miles apart. I have no doubt they will grow closer and stronger through it all. It kills me to see Rudy's pain, and yet I know that he is not the one forced to pay the awful ransom that chemo demands in exchange for remission. I watch, amazed at their ability to survive through humor and positive thinking.

When her dad promised Mindy that he would shave his head the moment she began to lose her hair, she came back with whit. She and I laughed at the fact that his sacrifice was small since he doesn't have much hair to shave. She even suggested that she mail some of her golden locks to him since he needed it more than she did. The banter went on and on until laughter replaced tears and love overcame fear.

Mindy's journey will not be an easy one, and Rudy will feel her pain every step of the way, but they will both survive. They have given me permission to document the next twelve weeks through this blog. I don't believe that bad things happen for a reason, or that there is any kind of purpose in suffering. I do, however, believe that shit happens and when it does, good people, strong people, find a way to make something wonderful out of the chaos they've been given. I can't wait to see what Mindy and her dad create.

1 comment:

Rudy said...

You nailed it hon.