Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Flutterbys and Fauna

We went on an amazing bike ride this past weekend. Thirty miles round trip on the Kokosing Gap Trail. This particular bike trail runs between Danville and Mount Vernon Ohio, through some of the most beautiful woodlands and marshes imaginable. Halfway to Mount Vernon, we noticed a privately run butterfly garden which was graciously open to the public. We parked our bikes and entered an oasis of tranquility and beauty. The first sight to catch our eye was a hummingbird moth which was feasting on a Bea Balm flower. I'd never seen such a creature and thought perhaps it was a miniature hummingbird. Trust Rudy to know the species, and put a name to it. Actually a moth because of its two tiny antennae, it perfectly mimics a humming bird hovering above the flowers.




Our next sighting was a fritilarry butterfly dining on a cone flower. I was
able to identify it because of the pictures posted at the entrance to the
gardens. I had never seen this particular species of butterfly and was happy
to make the discovery. We noted several other wonderful "flutterby"
creatures before exiting the gardens and remounting our bikes.



We continued along this beautiful trail, passing both woodlands and marshes, enjoying the shade provided by the trees. We were able to ride side by side most of the trip because no one seemed to be on the trail that day. We caught occasional glimpses of the river as it meandered near the path every now and then. At one point we noticed what appeared to be a leather back turtle the size of a large serving platter floating just below the surface of the water. That was another amazing discovery. Unlike the Cuyahoga or the Tuscarawas rivers, this water was clear and clean and beautiful. In fact, as we approached Mount Vernon, we noted children of all ages wading in its waters. Several teens were enjoying a rope swing which hung over the river. They swung out as high and as far as they dared before letting go and splashing into the cool clear waters below. Made me wish I were a kid again and could join them.

In Mount Vernon, we discovered a fantastic little restaurant which gave us a chance to refuel before making the fifteen mile return trip to Danville. It provided us with an inexpensive treasure of great food served by a fantastically friendly waitress. Stomachs full, we got back on our bikes in anticipation of an uneventful ride back to our vehicle. But we were wrong. One last surprise awaited us.

As we peddled back along the wooded return trail, I suddenly spotted the most
brilliantly colored bird I had ever seen. Unfortunately I did not have time to
point it out to Rudy and share the sight with him. Obviously a song bird, this
feathered beauty was entirely scarlet except for its jet black wings. I described
it to Rudy and he thought that perhaps it was a tanager. I couldn't wait to get
home to research it on the web and see if he was right. No surprise, he was
absolutely correct . It was a scarlet tanager. Another new addition to my flora
and fauna knowledge.

It was a wonderful day from start to finish. We arrived at the truck exhausted and feeling great about the whole experience. Just another great memory which Rudy and I will be able to tuck away for all those long winter days when it seems summer is simply an illusion.
























1 comment:

Rudy said...

That cool weather will be here before you know it. In two weeks we start the one month countdown to Labor Day. Fall is just around the corner from that.

R