Total Pageviews

Monday, June 7, 2010

Weekend Detours



They finally finished the road construction on Ridgewood Drive and took down the detour signs that prevented me from visiting the Western Reserve Park. I went there today in search of the usual peace and quiet which it supplies so abundantly.

I needed to detox from the weekend, and a long walk in the woods was just what the Doctor ordered. From the new fawns tagging behind their mothers, to the simple insect on a common daisy, my camera lens shifted my focus from the drama of daily life to the simplicity of nature.

I'd spent a rainy weekend locked indoors with my seven year old granddaughter and her one year old partner in crime, Matt. Before I begin to complain, I will remind myself and anyone who reads this, how much I love these kids and how happy I am to give my daughter and her husband a much needed respite from their roles as mom and dad.

Having said that, rainy weekends and children are not a great mix. My granddaughter, Boo, has learned that drama and defensive back talk are one way to cope with being in the second grade. However, I am not in the second grade and I won't tolerate a smart mouthed child even if she inhabits the precious body of my Boo. So we waged war on each other this weekend as the thunder rolled and the rain poured down.

By the time we settled into bed Sunday night we were both hurting and disappointed in each other. Fortunately just the act of snuggling together helped sooth some of the wounds from our weekend battles. It would break my heart to loose the precious connection I have with her, but I am the adult and that means I can't always be her friend. As she grows older we will have to find a balance to maintain reasonable discipline without damaging our special bond.

Before I could think of something wise and wonderful to say to her, she rolled over to hug me and said, "You know grandma, it's not easy babysitting when you aren't the mom or the dad, is it?" "No, Boo, it's sure not." I said, and we both started to giggle. I knew then that we'd just taken a little weekend detour and that everything would be fine once we got back on the main road again. We just have to follow our hearts.


No comments: