Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Perfect Day!

While Ohio weather can often be fickle, today she was kind. This morning was the perfect fall day to take my bike out on the tow path. I arrived at the Cuyahoga Railroad Station on Riverview Road at 9 am with my bike neatly tucked into the back of my little Sunfire. It had been months since I'd been on the tow path and I was determined to get back in the saddle again. How could I have imagined how much I'd missed this summer by allowing my bike to hang in my locker instead of riding it? The picture above says it all! What a glorious day.

After an hour and a half riding between Brecksville and Boston Mills, I convinced myself that my legs still had enough in them to enjoy the Brecksville Gorge Trail. So I drove along Riverview road to the park entrance and laced up my hiking boots in anticipation of a slightly muddy trek. I'd forgotten how hilly and how long the trail was, but once the endorphins kicked in I was loving every minute of it. What I remembered to be a forty five minute hike was in truth an hour and fifteen minutes, culminating in an uphill marathon to the parking lot. But it was worth every second. I reached my car thinking how much I'd missed this kind of weekend activity; just myself and the trail ahead of me.

Why did I let this all slip away from me this past year? This is what life is all about; enjoying every moment, even if it is spent alone. No one should give up what they love in order to satisfy their need for companionship. Life is too short to settle for less than what makes you truly happy.

No comments: