Today I needed a few items from Giant Eagle to complete my dinner plans, so I ran next door during my lunch hour. Cleveland cold blew from the skies as I huddled in my coat and walked hunched over toward the store. On my way, I encountered an elderly couple walking arm and arm toward a restaurant entrance. As we passed on the sidewalk, I couldn't help but overhear their conversation.
She clung to him, and said simply, "BRRR It's so cold out." To this comment he replied, "It's not really cold out. It's just that it's windy and the wind chill factor makes it feel colder than it really is."
What? Wait a minute! I didn't hear her ask a question. I don't think she wanted a science lesson or a whether forecast either. I believe she was simply stating a fact. She WAS cold! He was telling her NO she really wasn't cold, and backing his opinion up with scientific reasons why.
I walked on as they entered the restaurant, but continued to fume over this silly difference between men and women. It was all I could do to keep from taking him aside, and screaming, "Next time buddy, when your wife says shes cold, just put your arm around her and say, "I know sweetie, lets hurry inside." "
Instead, I took their conversation one step further in my imagination. I visualized them inside this popular restaurant. He would turn to her and say, "Wow its really crowded in here." To which she would reply "Yes, it is. Would you rather go across the street and eat at Dimitris?" His answer? "No, it's too cold out to walk that far."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good one. LOL!
Some people aren't effective listeners. They're too busy thinking about what they're going to say next, instead of 'hearing' the other person. Sad, isn't it?
Post a Comment