Total Pageviews

Friday, April 3, 2009

Tai -Died


Those who know me, or read my blog, have come to understand that I live a very simple life with limited responsibilities. Ergo, I don't do pets anymore, except for one very extraordinary fish named Tai. He's a Betta fish, which means he must live alone because of his penchant for fighting with other fish. I admire, and perhaps even mirror that characteristic, and we've become great room mates. I named him Tai Chi as a joke. He has been my constant companion for the past two years. He is the strong silent type who gives me the space I need and yet provides a sense of another life within these apartment walls. All he requires is that I feed him every other day and change his water once a month. In exchange, he provides beauty, life, and the feng shui which I so desperately need. For the past two weeks Tai has been off his feed, so to speak. I sensed that he was nearing the end of his life journey, but didn't really dwell on it.

Tonight was my granddaughter, Boos' first chance in several months to enjoy an overnight with grandma. We had great plans for the evening. A quick pizza followed by a swim in the pool and then popcorn and a movie in bed. However, she decided to feed Tai before we left for the pool. She came to me and said that Tai was swimming on his side at the bottom of the bowl. Bummer!

Boo has an aquarium of her own and is well versed in the fragile life of fish, but I really didn't want to ruin our night with a fish funeral. Somewhere within the deep recesses of my mind, all I could think of was the phrase, "Tai-died" and the sick sense of pun-like humor that those words conjured. There must be something seriously twisted within me, but come-on; you have to admit, it's an unusual play on words.

Anyway, I sent Boo to the bathroom to change into her swim suit while I quickly grabbed a slotted spoon and fished Tai out of his bowl. Oops! With Boo in the bathroom, I couldn't give Tai the typical burial at sea via the commode. I searched frantically for a quick, simple, solution to the problem. That's when I saw the empty pizza box sitting on the cupboard. Voila! An over sized fish coffin in the making. I plopped him quickly into the pizza box and ran the box to the garbage shoot in the laundry room down the hall.

Boo exited the bathroom with her swim suit on and we made a dash for the pool. The rest of the evening was a complete success. As I write this, she sleeps within the comfort and warmth of my big bed. Tomorrow, or perhaps next week, I can easily acquire another Beta fish to replace Tai. Or not....... Perhaps it's too soon?

How amazing to experience all of this in one evening; love, family, death and yet, humor. There must be balance and priority in life. I love, I laugh, therefor I live an extraordinary life!


1 comment:

Rudy said...

I guess you won't want the gift I bought for you a few days ago. I think I can take the the tai-died shirt back for a refund..........