Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

F***ing Perfect



When I cannot rise above the losses or block out the pain that surrounds me, I pace aimlessly through my apartment searching for God knows what to stop the madness that screams inside my head. I want to cover the mirrors, erase all that I've ever written, and run away from my friends and family. I probably don't deserve them anyway.  I recount every mistake I've ever made, and I've made a lot of them.  Receiving forgiveness from everyone but myself I allow the mantra of my critics to loop through my brain over and over again.   And then I hear a new song, one written for people just like me by the most unlikely source.  Once again Pink knows more about me than I know about myself.

She belts out her latest lyrics  F***ing Perfect and tells me to ignore the critics.  She says I'm mean when I talk about myself and I'm wrong for doing so.  Encourages me to change the voices in my head and make them like me instead.  And then she begs me "Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f***ing perfect because you're perfect to me."  She's been where I've been and understands that I need someone to say those exact words to me at this exact time in my life.  And so I listen over and over again, changing the negativity that has paralyzed me to redemption and hope for a better tomorrow.  I pass a mirror and smile at the woman looking back at me.  I remove my finger from the delete button on my computer, and I share the words of this song with a friend whom I think is pretty f***ing perfect!

No comments: