Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Irreverent Reverence

They are praying now, "Our Father who art in Heaven...."; their sacred words of faith. The chant appears to give them peace, hope and perhaps even strength. I watch and listen in awe, feeling nothing. I know the words by heart, but cannot speak them. God is not here in this building with me. He never has been.

Although I'm alone here today, I feel no sense of abandonment. I know that God has already given me everything I need mentally, physically and spiritually, to make my way through this world. Religion means nothing to me; just a way to make men more civilized, certainly not Holy.

I leave the building, making no judgement of what others believe. I only know that it doesn't work for me. Outside, the sun is setting. Brilliant shades of crimson outline the clouds. Beams of light reach out in all directions as if attempting to connect the Heavens with the earth. As always, my heart is pierced with the beauty and strength of the evening sky. I look toward the heavens, smile, and say this simple prayer aloud, "Damn You Do Good Work!"

No comments: