I read a piece from a fellow blogger, which was so dark and painful, that I felt rather than understood her words. The experience made me flashback to a time when my youngest daughter suffered from "night terrors". I felt compelled to jot down the memory of one particularly difficult night with her. "Night Terrors" is that memory.
Heart stopping screams awaken me as she cries out once again from her bedroom down the hall. She is caught between sleeping and waking, unable to make the transition safely. Another night terror.
I rush to her side, seeing her as always, bolt upright, eyes wide open, saliva running from her lips; in mid scream. I try to hold her, comfort and waken her, but she stares at me and whispers,
"SHHH. He'll hear you".
I do not touch her. Do not speak. The hair on my arms and neck stands on end, because I know who "He" is and am afraid that this time she may be right. Perhaps he really is in the room with us watching and waiting. And so, I sit beside her silently trapped in this night terror with her. Wondering if we will ever be free from it. If we will ever feel safe again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment