Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Puzzle Pieces Of My Heart


On the day we met, I was determined to hold my heart safely and securely within myself. I'd told you the night before that I was "cautiously" optimistic about our date. You'd said you were "freakin'" excited! Right on time, I parked up the street from the restaurant we'd chosen, hoping for the advantage of flying in under your radar. But there you were, waiting outside on the sidewalk corner, scanning in all directions for ME. Our eyes met, you smiled, cocked your head to one side and pointed your finger at me. As if saying, "Yes. You're the ONE." And I lost a piece of my heart to you.

The next day we planned a meal together at your home. As I pulled into your drive, I saw you standing out on the porch waiting for ME. Again, you pointed your finger, and then crooked it in a flirtatious "come hither" motion. And I lost another piece of my heart. You'd spent hours creating the perfect Italian spaghetti sauce complete with the pigs feet that make it authentic. Something good and wonderful from my past which I thought I'd never experience again was returned to me in that one meal.
We ate, we laughed, and we talked for hours. You made your life an open book to me while allowing me to keep my secrets. You never asked about my Italian connection. My past didn't seem to matter to you. I was enough for you just as I was, in the present. Another piece of my heart was left behind that day.

In the weeks that followed I received your cards both at work and at home, reminding me that I was always in your thoughts. An e-mail or a phone call kept the connection alive and assured me that I was important to you. We said our first "I love yous" and we meant them. The last piece of my heart slipped into place with yours.

This past weekend I told you about my addiction to picture puzzles and we promptly ran out to pick one out together. You insisted it be your gift to ME. But the real gift came later when you set up a small corner of your home for me to work the puzzle in, and then to my amazement, you sat down to construct the picture together. You laughed at my "focused" expression and I stole glances at your silly grin. I looked up at you at last and said I needed a break from the puzzle. Looking into your eyes, I felt you pulling me to you. We completed each other at last by fitting the pieces of our minds and bodies together in a loving embrace.

Our love is a puzzle to me. I continually ask why do we love so quickly and yet so completely? You say simply, "Stop asking." Perhaps the pieces were cut long ago and jumbled up in the chaos of our lives. Now we've found a way to put them together at last in the way they were always meant to be.